Sunday, November 9, 2008

Parents of the year

I've been super busy this week getting ready for Parent Teacher Conferences. I always dread this time of year because I don't like dealing with parents. They are probably one of the worst part of my job! It's also pretty awkward because a lot of our families bring the whole kit n kaboodle with them, so I am freaking out inside because little bro/sis is writing on my white boards with my beloved markers, while my student is listening in on the convo with their parents (which means I am not always as blunt). This year sure brought out some interesting things to note. One of our kindergarten teachers had a conference and told the mom that the kid wasn't doing so hot, so she turned to the kid and asked, "do I need to take away your hugs and kisses?" How sweet. Then a second grade teacher was having a conference, interpreter included, and was telling the mom how low her kid was and that she was pretty concerned. The mom sat silent the whole time, and at the end turned to the interpreter and said, "well don't ya think she is a bit mentally retarded?" Wow. And for another contestant for mother of the year..... I called one of my parents at 1o:oo after they had missed their 9:30 appointment. While waiting for her to pick up I got to listen to some classy Snoop Dog. When she finally picked up she said she had been sleeping and could she come in at 2:30? Um, no. I only had to be there until 12:00 so I wasn't about to sit around and wait for her. She said she was babysitting (while sleeping?) her and her roomates kids so she couldn't come in until next week. Seriously? Because it sounded like you were sleeping one off. Whatever.

No comments: